Defense You Can Trust
Shoplifting is a theft crime which is usually charged as petit theft. Petit theft is the unlawful taking of goods valued at less than $300. Depending on the value of the goods, petit theft may be charged as a first- or second-degree misdemeanor.
- Property stolen is worth over $100 but less than $300
- If a person is convicted of petit theft of the first degree, they may face 1 year in jail or 1 year of probation and a $1,000 fine.
- Property stolen is worth less than $100
- If a person is convicted of petit theft of the second-degree, they may face 6 months in jail or 6 months’ probation and a $500 fine.
- If someone has had two or more prior petit thefts, they may be charged with a third-degree felony and may face 5 years in prison regardless of the amount of the theft.
These penalties are severe, and your future could be ruined if you are convicted. This is why it is of the utmost importance that you retain a skilled petit theft attorney in Miami if you are facing these charges.
Over 20 Years of Defense Experience
Thousands of Cases Successfully Handled
Free Initial Case Review
Exclusive Focus on Criminal Defense Law
Former State Prosecutor